This article explains how to reconcile payments received from patients and third party funders. You can record payments from the Patient Manager or in the Appointment Book.
Record Payment in Patient Manager
Tip: You can search patients by Claim, Policy, Invoice, or Cheque No to locate patients. When cheques from insurers reference patients using numeric identifiers, you will want to enter the identifier into the search box and select the option from the drop-down arrow next to [Search] above patient list.
- Open Patient Manager, then locate and select a patient.
- Select a patient case, then click the Account Activity tab.
By default, the Invoices & Payments tab is displayed.
- Click the arrow next to [New Invoice/New Payment/New Refund] on the toolbar, then select New Payment.
The Record Payment window opens, showing a list of outstanding invoices for the patient.
- Select a payment method from the Pmt. Method drop-down list.
- The payment Date defaults to the current date. If necessary, change it in the top-right corner.
- Enter the payment Amount.
Note: Optionally, enter a reference number or the cheque number in the Ref/Chq No field.
- Check the box next to an invoice and when prompted, verify the amount of the payment to be applied to that invoice, then click OK. Repeat to allocate the payment to more than one invoice. If the payment is partial and/or more than one service is included in the invoice, see the Note below.
- Click Save & Close to record the payment and return to the Invoices & Payments list.
Important: If the applied payment is partial or more than one service is included in the invoice, you will want to distribute payment per individual service. Check the box next to the invoice and click Distribute Pay (on the bottom-left of the screen). In the new window that opens, enter the payment amount for each service under the Apply Amt column. Click Save & Close to record distributed payment and return to the Record Payment screen.
Record Payment in Appointment Book (excluding MVA and OHIP cases)
- Double-click on a checked-in appointment.
- Ensure that a case is selected under the Billing section, then click Create Invoice on the bottom-right of Apply Charges window.
- Add billing items as described in Create and Manage Private and EHC Invoices article.
- Check the Record Payment box.
- Click inside an empty cell under Pmt Date column and choose a date, then enter the rest of the payment information into the Record Payment table.
- Click Save & Close to record the invoice and payment information.